Who is a sex addict?
I hate labels used on people, such as this. I prefer to use “person with a sexual addiction.”
Anyway, the term “sex addict” (as cited by experts) refers to a person with compulsive sex-related behavior that is out of control.
For instance, Bob, a middle aged patient, is particularly concerned with a deep need for attention from women.
Since his high school years, he got used to flirting with females. Poring on Playboy magazines from his Dad’s drawer.
As he grew older and met more women onwards, seducing multiple women is like a game for him.
Even while already married, he continues onto his acts of womanizing, repetitive infidelity, and Don Juanism.
He regularly pays prostitutes or gets hooked with strangers for sexual intercourse.
He has no time for any emotional attachment. He only uses and abandons women to move on to the next score.
Psychotherapist Dr. Patrick Carnes is an authority on sexual addiction as a mental disorder.
He is the author of bestselling sexual addiction books, such as “Out of the Shadows,” “Don’t Call It Love,” and “Contrary to Love.”
Dr. Carnes describes to us some symptoms to know who is a sex addict.
* it’s a compulsion, felt like a need
* no emotional attachment
* with overtones of power play
* obsessive hunt for the next “score” and boasting about it
* interferes with relationships and work
* high risk behavior
* very low self esteem
* belief of women etc as playthings
* many have other types of addictions as well, such as drugs or alcohol
* skilled lying and deceptiveness
* feelings of shame and degradation
* at risk of dangerous complications, including suicide, HIV or AIDS, violence, and other life-damaging consequences
With these signs, you can know who is a sex addict.